The educational program at OCS follows the curriculum set by the State of California Common Core standards and utilizes State adopted textbooks. The subjects taught are Language Arts/English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies/History, Computer Education, and Health and Physical Education. We have three additional subjects including Qur’an, Arabic Language, and Islamic Studies. This basic program is expanded and enriched at every level with Islamic curricula providing students with exceptional learning opportunities.
- Common Core is a Nationwide Initiative to have the same academic standards for each grade level across all 50 states. Common Core emphasizes more critical thinking, student talk time, and project based learning that ties the curriculum with real life examples.
OCS will be adopting new Common Core curriculum in Mathematics in the 2014-2015 school year and will adopt Common Core English Language Arts curriculum in the 2015-2016 school year.
In Mathematics, there will be greater focus on fewer topics; linking topics and thinking across grades; and a balance between both conceptual understanding and procedural skills and fluency. Learn more about Common Core through this 3-minute video: http://www.corestandards.org/video/
- OCS has adopted Accelerated Reader for all grades - Kindergarten to 8th grade - to help strengthen our students reading comprehension.
What is Accelerated Reader (AR)? AR is a computer program that helps teachers and librarians manage and monitor children’s independent reading practice. Your child picks a book at his own level and reads it at his own pace. When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer. (Passing the quiz is an indication that your child understood what was read.) AR gives children, teachers, and librarians feedback based on the quiz results, which the teacher then uses to help your child set goals and direct ongoing reading practice.
- OCS takes pride in its Physical Education program that it offers to its students. Students have Physical Education class twice a week, which includes team sports, track and field events, cardio vascular and stretching exercises. Team Sports include:
- Flag Football
The elementary program schedule includes:
- Language Arts (1.5 hours daily)
- Mathematics (1.5 hours daily)
- Qur'an (30 minutes daily)
- Arabic (30 minutes daily)
- Islamic Studies (30 minutes daily)
- Science and Social Studies (2.5 hours weekly)
- Physical Education (1.5 hours weekly)
- Computer (1.5 hours weekly)
- Library/Accelerated Reader (45 minutes weekly)